We’ve discussed my lack of self control before but I do want to reiterate, when it comes to chocolate, I have none. I can knock off a packet of Tim Tams in record time.
That’s why these little morsels are so good. They are legitimately delicious, you won’t feel like you’re settling…you know “all I want is an Almond Slab but I guess I have to settle for this piece of fruit”.
Dates are high in Magnesium and Potassium along with being high in fiber. But Dates are still dried fruit though, so go easy – but at least these are functional calories you’ll be consuming rather than refined sugar. I find anything with Coconut Oil quite rich anyway so I have to stop at 2 (ok, 4) small pieces.
Tip: Almond Butter is pretty expensive so you can do half peanut butter and half almond – it won’t change the texture but it will be more peanuty than chocolatey…if you get my drift.
10 tablespoons Almond Butter
4 Tablespoons Coconut oil, melted
4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder.
1/4 cup Hazelnuts or Almonds (optional)
- Cover the dates with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and blend for about 2 minutes, until a paste forms.
- Line a dish with baking paper and spoon on fudge. It will be sticky so using a hot spoon can be helpful.
- At this point you can sprinkle on nuts and a little sea salt, or you can leave plain. I recommend Hazelnuts though…Nutella anyone?! I usually split each batch into 3 and do one plain, one almond an one hazelnut.
- Place in freezer for about 2 hours before cutting into pieces and serving. Keep in the freezer…if there’s any left 😉